Manchester United have remained cool on the links floating around the media, suggesting that they are on the cusp of a move for Cristiano Ronaldo, as reported by the Daily Telegraph.
Part of the issue seems to be the fact that, given the opportunity to move back to Old Trafford last summer, the player instead chose to sign a new five year deal with Spanish giants Real Madrid.
While this decision was ultimately vindicated, with Ronaldo winning the Champions League at Real as Man Utd slumped to a seventh place finish in the Premier League, it has understandably placed doubts in the minds of the Man Utd hierarchy about the idea of signing the star.
A source in the club is said to have said: “It’s not something for current focus.
“He has four years left on his contract.
“And we do not believe everything that we read.”
Ronaldo also won the Ballon d’Or last season, as a result of his exploits for Real over the last year.
Man Utd lost again in the Premier League on Sunday, falling to a 5-3 defeat against Leicester City.