England Under 21 manager Gareth Southgate has praised Luke Shaw for accepting a call up to the youth national side, saying that the player has displayed hunger in doing so, as reported by the Daily Star.
The Manchester United youngster has been included in Southgate’s squad for the Euro 2015 play off games against Croatia at Molineux next week.
The call up came after Roy Hodgson left the left back out of the senior squad for the games against San Marino and Estonia, with Southgate taking advantage of the former Southampton pair to improve his squad for the crucial games.
Southgate said: “We feel that if we’re going to be successful at senior level we need players with the humility to step down.
“Luke Shaw [has] done this and when we spoke to [him, his] reaction was great and that’s really encouraging.
“We need to get away from the perception that playing for the Under 21s is a backwards step. It’s actually a development opportunity.”
Shaw has had a difficult start to his career with new side Man Utd since his summer moves.
The Man Utd left back has been used sparingly, with doubts over his fitness.
This despite the club spending a British record fee for a teenager, with the Old Trafford side having spent £27 million to sign him from Southampton.
He has also struggled to displace fellow new signing Marcos Rojo from the berth on the left hand side.
Shaw has, however, started in Man Utd’s last two games.
Manchester United left back Luke Shaw has admitted that he is under considerable pressure to justify the big money fee paid out by the Old Trafford club for him in the summer, as reported by the Daily Express.
The England international became the most expensive teenager in the history of the English game in the summer transfer window, signing for Man Utd for a staggering £31 million fee.
However, he suffered an injury towards the end of pre-season, and only managed to make his debut for the team last weekend, with several other players in defence having suffered injuries of their own.
The club are facing a considerable defensive crisis, giving Shaw a real opportunity to cement himself in the first team, but the young star admits that there is still significant pressure on him to justify his huge fee.
He said: “There’s a lot of pressure on me because I arrived here for a big fee and there’s attention that comes with that.
“Of course, he was right to say that. We had a discussion in pre-season and the plan was to get my fitness up.
“It worked, I think, apart from the injury. He’s been a great inspiration to me.
“The manager and I talk at the training ground and we have discussions. I feel in good shape.”
Man Utd face Everton at the weekend, a side they lost twice to last season.
Manchester United have reason to complain after Diafra Sakho allegedly headbutted debuting defender Luke Shaw during Saturday’s clash, as reported by the Daily Express.
The West Ham striker could therefore face a charge from the Football Association, should the incident be proven by the Old Trafford club.
Man Utd stormed into the lead against West Ham, but the Red Devils struggled to keep the Hammers at bay.
A moment of madness from Wayne Rooney, which saw him kick out at Stewart Downing and receive a straight red card, put them under even more pressure, with an offside flag the only thing denying West Ham a late equaliser.
Rooney is set to miss three games, and the same punishment could befall Sakho, if he is charged.
The FA await the report from referee Lee Mason before deciding what to do to Sakho.
Shaw apparently complained to assistant referee Andy Garratt about the incident, and was left with a black eye.
Speaking about the game, Shaw said: “We have actually had a lot of bad luck, especially with Wazza’s red card as I would say there was a handball before that but the referee didn’t stop play.
“Earlier in the game, Sakho did the same to me.
“But I just focus on winning games and I’ll keep doing that.”