Liverpool have confirmed their starting eleven for their return to the Champions League tonight.
After the 1-0 loss against Aston Villa at the weekend, Liverpool need a big result to kickstart their season, and there would be no better opportunity to get it than in their first Champions League game for five years.
Rodgers led the side back into the competition last season by finishing second in the Premier League. An unlikely title challenge was scuppered in the last weeks of the season, but the club still managed to qualify automatically for the elite European competition by finishing as runners up.
The reintroduction of Raheem Sterling to the starting eleven will come as a boost to Liverpool fans, who have seen the youngster develop into one of the best players in the country over the last year.
Sterling was dropped against Villa due to concerns over him suffering burnout, but there will be few sides in Europe who do not fear coming up against him.
The confirmed line up is as follows:
Arsenal’s injured right back Mathieu Debuchy has backed young England international Calum Chambers to fill in with aplomb during his extended absence from first team action, as reported by the Daily Star.
Debuchy injured himself during Arsenal’s game with Manchester City at the weekend, which the Gunners drew 2-2 against the defending Premier League champions, and the French international is expected to face an extended spell on the sidelines, with reports suggesting that he will be absent for between two or three months of the season.
Chambers, 19, has impressed since arriving at the Emirates Stadium from Southampton for £16m, and began his professional career playing at right back for the south coast club. He has been used in a more central role for Arsenal by Arsene Wenger, but would be the natural replacement in Arsenal’s squad for the injured Debuchy.
The former Newcastle United defender has also backed the young star to impress during his absence.
He said: “Calum is a very good player, he is very young and has a great potential.
“He proved himself since the beginning of the season, when he performed very well.
“He is very talented and will bring a lot to Arsenal.”
Manchester United’s 19 year old young prospect Adnan Januzaj has insisted that he will work hard and earn a place back in the Old Trafford club’s first team, and he is hoping to impress the manager Louis van Gaal through his displays for the club’s Under 21s, as reported by the Daily Star.
Januzaj played from the bench for the club against Queens Park Rangers at the weekend, as the club managed to earn their first win of the season, but he also featured for the Under 21 side as they clashed with Sunderland at Old Trafford on Monday.
Much like the senior side, the Under 21s managed a 4-0 victory, and Januzaj scored a hat trick as they romped to an easy win.
Januzaj said: “Of course, I played a lot of games last season and I’m trying to impress the manager once again and get games again this year as well.
“I tried to do my best. Obviously, even if it’s reserves level, I always have to show myself and improve.
“I got a hat-trick but I think I worked hard defensively as well and these are the kind of things I have to do now and at first-team level.
“I don’t do it for any other people but for myself. I look after my [display]. Even if I have to play Under-18s, I have to do it and try to improve every time I play.”
Given his committed display, Januzaj is hoping that the manager Van Gaal will give him another opportunity to impress in the first team.
The starlet burst onto the scene last season with a series of good displays under David Moyes.