Leicester City are set to beat Chelsea to the signature of Andrej Kramaric, despite reports last week suggesting that the Stamford Bridge club were on the cusp of securing a transfer for him, as reported by the Daily Telegraph.
Chelsea were thought to be about to agree an £8 million deal, with the intention of then sending him out on loan to feeder club Vitesse Arnhem for the rest of the season.
Vitesse were even preparing to involve Kramaric in their side before the weekend, but those plans have been scuppered.
He has instead chosen to join their Premier League rivals Liverpool, with the 23 year old striker keen on playing Premier League football immediately.
While he could have moved to Chelsea and then joined Leicester City on loan, as reported here, Premier League rules prevent that occurring in the same transfer window.
As a result, the player had to essentially decide between playing for Vitesse or moving to another Premier League side.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has paid tribute to departing shot stopper Mark Schwarzer, who has left the Stamford Bridge to join Premier League side Leicester City.
Schwarzer has found opportunities limited at the Blues since joining them from Fulham as second choice goalkeeper in the summer of 2013.
He spent five years at Fulham prior to moving to Chelsea, but left before last season kicked off, a year in which the London side were relegated to the Championship.
The Australian goalkeeper has spent the majority of his careeer in English football, having previously played for both Bradford City and Middlesbrough in the English top flight.
His move to Leicester comes after the long term injury suffered by Kasper Schmeichel.
Schwarzer made only four appearances for Chelsea while at Stamford Bridge, and saw his place as second choice goalkeeper taken over by Petr Cech this season after the return of Thibaut Courtois from his loan spell.
Mourinho was full of praise for the 42 year old Schwarzer, telling the press after Chelsea’s FA Cup win on Sunday: “He was a fantastic guy for us.
“As a goalkeeper when we needed him he was there for us. On behalf of myself and the group we wish him all the best.”
Chelsea starlet Nathaniel Chalobah has been denied a first ever Premier League start by a freak injury suffered in Burnley’s Under 21 clash against Hull City on Tuesday night, as reported by the Daily Express.
The youngster has spent the last few seasons on loan with clubs in the Championship, but finally received an opportunity to play Premier League football when Burnley came calling this summer.
The player had to be rushed to the hospital on Tuesday after facing an unfortunate accidental blow in the game against Hull.
As a result, he has also been forced to pull out of England’s Under 21 squad for the European Championship play-off against Croatia.
READ: CHELSEA VS. ARSENAL PREVIEW – WILL FABREGAS HURT HIS FORMER CLUB?
Having made his first Premier League appearance in the game against West Brom last weekend, which Burnley lost 4-0, Chalobah was in line to start against Leicester this weekend, but is now set to miss out.
It would have been a first start in the top flight for the Chelsea loanee.
Burnley boss Sean Dyche said: “He got a really bad knock and the swelling closed up the breathing pathway.
“We’ve been told that he can’t play. It’s a strange injury but a nasty one.”